Yerba Mate, Ilex Paraguariensis, is a traditional medicinal herb from South America known for enhancing stamina, detoxification and weight loss. Combined with our lively masala chai spices, it makes a fortifying and uplifting brew! In the video below, Sarah walks you through how to make Yerba Mate Chai at home.
Yerba Mate Chai brings together the flavor of two honored cultures steeped in rich tradition:
- Yerba mate: the energizing beverage for native materos in South America as they sat in a circle and passed around a cuia, or gourd, filled with Yerba Mate. Each person took a sip from the gourd and then passed it to the next person in a show of friendship.
- Masala Chai: a 5,000 year old blend of spices from India used in Eastern and specifically Ayurvedic medicine as a healing beverage. “Masala” is a Hindi word meaning “spice mix” so “Masala Chai” loosely means spiced tea.
Made with the classic organic ingredients found in Firepot’s signature masala chai spice blend like cinnamon, cardamom, coriander, ginger, black pepper and cloves, you can enjoy a yerba mate chai - either hot or iced - any time of day. Need a warm and invigorating cup to start your day? Sip a hot steaming cup of Yerba Mate Chai and watch the sun come up. Looking for a cool afternoon pick-me-up? Pour your Yerba Mate Chai over a cup of ice and sip your cares away. Yerba Mate Chai is simple to make at home and perfect for anytime you need a revitalizing boost of caffeine and the warm healthful beauty of chai spices.
In the video below, Sarah walks you through how to make Yerba Mate Chai at home:
To Make Yerba Mate Chai
1. Start by boiling 1-2 teaspoons of Yerba Mate Chai with ½ cup milk and ½ cup water.
2. Remove from heat and steep for 5 minutes.
3. Strain into a mug and add 2 teaspoons of sugar or other sweetener, or if you’d like it iced, pour it over a cup of ice cubes.
4. Stir and enjoy the subtly sweet, transporting taste of real Yerba Mate Chai!
Feel free to experiment with the different tastes created with different types of milk. Almond milk and oat milk are some of our favorites, and each offer a unique taste variation - so try a few different ones and find the perfect blend for your palate.
May we also suggest our Chai Recipe Guide? It's full of decadent recipes you can also make at home, each featuring the classic taste of Firepot chai.
Download your recipe card here